Vocational Rehabilitation

New Hampshire Vocational Rehabilitation (NHVR) is an agency within the Department of Education that helps persons with disabilities help themselves to get a job, keep the job, and develop a lifetime career. NHVR has seven regional offices throughout the state designed to assist persons who have physical, mental, emotional and learning disabilities.

A person is eligible if: They have a disability, and their disability creates substantial problems in preparing for a job, getting a job, or keeping a job, and they require VR services to become employed or to stay employed.

Applying for VR services, is done through the local VR office. Tell them you have a disability and need help getting a job. You will get some initial information about VR and an appointment date. At this first appointment you will learn more about VR and will start the process for determining eligibility.

With current medical information documenting your disability, a determination of eligibility for VR services may be made. For this reason, it would be helpful if any medical records that would assist in this process be brought to the first meeting. Also include any of the following: Transcript of Grades, Current IEP, Current Class Schedule, Vocational Evaluation, OT/PT/Speech Reports, Psychological/Psychiatric Evaluations, WISC/WAIS, Reading Evaluation, and any other disability related records you have on file.

Services Available

You will meet with a counselor to develop an employment plan designed to meet your specific needs. Each one of the services in the employment plan should move you one step closer to a chosen job. Not everyone will need every service. Some of the services provided are:

Diagnostic Testing: This involves, if necessary, medical or psychological exams. These exams may be used to determine your eligibility for VR services and your needs for specific types of     services.

Vocational Evaluation: This involves aptitude, interest and other specific tests to assist in planning for the right job.

Vocational Counseling: Your counselor will help you decide which work opportunities are best for you. This may lead to training, including On-the-Job Training, Technical Training, and Academic Training.

Job Placement: These services help you learn the skills to find and keep the right job, and may include training in writing a resume, practicing in doing interviews, and following job leads.
Independent Living Services: Information and Referral, Advocacy, Peer Counseling, Personal Care Attendant Coordination, and Assistive Technology may be available for individuals with severe disabilities.

Special Services: Physical and Mental Restoration: If you need medical treatment to correct, improve or prevent deterioration of your disability, this service may be provided so you can work.

Transition From School to Work: Transition services refer to the services for children with disabilities they require in order to make a successful adjustment to work and community living.

Assistive Technology: VR will supply appropriate application of technological devices to support you in performing in a job situation.

Supported Employment: These programs are designed for persons who need long-term support to hold a job in the community. Persons in supported employment are placed in competitive jobs with workers without disabilities and receive ongoing support services.

Support Services
♦ Interpreter Services – may include foreign language, sign language or oral interpreters.
♦ Transportation – as needed during the VR program for completion of the employment plan.

There is no charge for VR Services, however, customers may be required to financially participate in certain services in their Rehabilitation Program. Customers are also required to take advantage of any insurance or other programs for which they may be eligible.

Vocational Rehabilitation Regional Offices

Berlin Regional Office: (603) 712-2271 (V/TTY)
Concord Regional Office: (603) 271-2327
Keene Regional Office: (603) 357-0266
Manchester Regional Office: (603) 669-9733 (V/TTY)
Nashua Regional Office: (603) 889-6844 (V/TTY)
Portsmouth Regional Office: (603) 436-8884 (V/TTY)

Services for Blind and Visually Impaired: (603) 271-3471 (V/TTY)

Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing: (603) 463-0728 (VP)

NH Chapter of Hands and Voices

NH parents organizing to support families of children with hearing loss and assist parents in exploring the available options for communication without feeling judged or pressured. The website listed is their Facebook page.

Family Sign Language Program

Northeast Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services offers in-home sign language instruction for families of children who are Deaf or hard of hearing. It is available for NH families of children ages birth – 21yrs.Classes are taught in-home by specially trained Deaf or Hard of Hearing Mentors. Each session typically consists of 8 weeks of 2-hour classes. Families usually receive 2 sessions. NDHHS follows a nationally recognized curriculum designed specifically for families of children who are deaf or hard of hearing.This is a unique opportunity for families to improve communication skills and encourage family cohesiveness. Classes are available at no cost to families in conjunction with Early Intervention Services or your local school district. This program is funded through The New Hampshire Bureau of Developmental Services, Northeast Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services and participating local school districts.

Boys Town National Research Hospital

Boys Town National Research Hospital’s, in Omeha, NE, mission is to “help heal America’s children and operate the nation’s leading clinical research center for childhood hearing loss and related disorders.” Their Web site offers information on the causes of hearing loss in children as well as information on hearing testing.

The website My Baby’s Hearing was created by the Boys Town National Research Hospital to answer parents’ questions about infant hearing screening and follow-up testing, steps to take after diagnosis of hearing loss, hearing loss and hearing aids, language and speech, and parenting issues.

AUDIENT (An Alliance for Accessible Hearing Care)

AUDIENT helps low income people access quality hearing aids and related care at a significantly lower cost. AUDIENT income qualifies families to be eligible for a discount on brand name hearing aids available through the AUDIENT Alliance’s national network of dedicated hearing care providers. Brand selection includes Oticon, Phonak, Siemens, Widex, & Unitron hearing aids.There is no age qualification for AUDIENT, and they help children as well as seniors.

The Hike Fund (Hearing Impaired Kids Endowment Fund, Inc.)

The HIKE fund is a not-for-profit charity that provides hearing devices for children with hearing impairments between the ages of newborn and twenty years whose parents are unable to meet this special need financially.  For information and application forms, please visit the web site.

Starkey Hearing Foundation

Starkey Hearing Foundation has a program called ‘Hear Now’ an application-based program that provides hearing help to low-income families and people and helps them get fit with new, top-of-the-line digital hearing aids that are customized to their hearing loss.

Sertoma – Scholarships

Sertoma’s Scholarship for the Hard of Hearing or Deaf, offers scholarships for hard of hearing or deaf students. Students with clinically significant bilateral hearing loss, graduating from high school, or undergraduate students pursuing four-year college degrees in any discipline are eligible for the scholarship.

Sertoma’s Communicative Disorders Scholarship, is for graduate students pursing advanced degrees in audiology or speech-language pathology. These scholarships, worth $1,000 each, are awarded in the spring to help offset the cost of tuition, books and fees incurred during the following school year.

Scholarship Trust for the Hearing Impaired

Scholarship Trust for the Hearing Impaired is sponsored by Travelers Protective Association, and provides financial aid to people with deafness or hearing impairment. This can include hearing devices, specialized treatments, speech classes, note-takers, interpreters, and more. Application is available online.