Vocational Rehabilitation

New Hampshire Vocational Rehabilitation (NHVR) is an agency within the Department of Education that helps persons with disabilities help themselves to get a job, keep the job, and develop a lifetime career. NHVR has seven regional offices throughout the state designed to assist persons who have physical, mental, emotional and learning disabilities.

A person is eligible if: They have a disability, and their disability creates substantial problems in preparing for a job, getting a job, or keeping a job, and they require VR services to become employed or to stay employed.

Applying for VR services, is done through the local VR office. Tell them you have a disability and need help getting a job. You will get some initial information about VR and an appointment date. At this first appointment you will learn more about VR and will start the process for determining eligibility.

With current medical information documenting your disability, a determination of eligibility for VR services may be made. For this reason, it would be helpful if any medical records that would assist in this process be brought to the first meeting. Also include any of the following: Transcript of Grades, Current IEP, Current Class Schedule, Vocational Evaluation, OT/PT/Speech Reports, Psychological/Psychiatric Evaluations, WISC/WAIS, Reading Evaluation, and any other disability related records you have on file.

Services Available

You will meet with a counselor to develop an employment plan designed to meet your specific needs. Each one of the services in the employment plan should move you one step closer to a chosen job. Not everyone will need every service. Some of the services provided are:

Diagnostic Testing: This involves, if necessary, medical or psychological exams. These exams may be used to determine your eligibility for VR services and your needs for specific types of     services.

Vocational Evaluation: This involves aptitude, interest and other specific tests to assist in planning for the right job.

Vocational Counseling: Your counselor will help you decide which work opportunities are best for you. This may lead to training, including On-the-Job Training, Technical Training, and Academic Training.

Job Placement: These services help you learn the skills to find and keep the right job, and may include training in writing a resume, practicing in doing interviews, and following job leads.
Independent Living Services: Information and Referral, Advocacy, Peer Counseling, Personal Care Attendant Coordination, and Assistive Technology may be available for individuals with severe disabilities.

Special Services: Physical and Mental Restoration: If you need medical treatment to correct, improve or prevent deterioration of your disability, this service may be provided so you can work.

Transition From School to Work: Transition services refer to the services for children with disabilities they require in order to make a successful adjustment to work and community living.

Assistive Technology: VR will supply appropriate application of technological devices to support you in performing in a job situation.

Supported Employment: These programs are designed for persons who need long-term support to hold a job in the community. Persons in supported employment are placed in competitive jobs with workers without disabilities and receive ongoing support services.

Support Services
♦ Interpreter Services – may include foreign language, sign language or oral interpreters.
♦ Transportation – as needed during the VR program for completion of the employment plan.

There is no charge for VR Services, however, customers may be required to financially participate in certain services in their Rehabilitation Program. Customers are also required to take advantage of any insurance or other programs for which they may be eligible.

Vocational Rehabilitation Regional Offices

Berlin Regional Office: (603) 712-2271 (V/TTY)
Concord Regional Office: (603) 271-2327
Keene Regional Office: (603) 357-0266
Manchester Regional Office: (603) 669-9733 (V/TTY)
Nashua Regional Office: (603) 889-6844 (V/TTY)
Portsmouth Regional Office: (603) 436-8884 (V/TTY)

Services for Blind and Visually Impaired: (603) 271-3471 (V/TTY)

Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing: (603) 463-0728 (VP)

American Printing House for the Blind

The American Printing House for the Blind and the Dollywood Foundation have an exciting partnership that expands Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library (DPIL) program to provide young children who are blind and visually impaired with accessible books in print/braille and audio formats. Selected Imagination Library books are available free-of-charge in print/braille format. By enrolling in the Braille Tales Print/Braille Book Program, participating families receive six free print/braille books each year until the child reaches his/her 6th birthday.

Participating families receive six free print/braille books per year up to the child’s 6th birthday. To be eligible for the program:

  • You or your child must meet the definition of blindness
  • Your child must be age 5 or under
  • Both you and your child must reside in the U.S. or its outlying areas (American Samoa, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands)

Paws With A Cause

Paws With A Cause enhances the independence and quality of life for people with disabilities nationally through custom-trained Assistance Dogs. PAWS trains Seizure Response Dogs and Service Dogs for individuals 14 years or older and Hearing Dogs for individuals 18 years or older. PAWS trains Service Dogs for Children with Autism for ages 4-12.


NEADS Inc., formerly known as National Education for Assistance Dog Services and Dogs for Deaf and Disabled Americans) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides independence to people who are deaf or have a disability through the use of canine assistance.

NEADS programs include:

♦ Service Dogs for Adults and Children with Physical Disabilities

♦ Service Dogs for Hearing

♦ Service Dogs for Veterans

♦ Service Dogs for Children with Autism or Other Developmental Disabilities

♦ Assistance Dogs – Classroom, Hospital, Courthouse, Ministry and Therapeutic Settings

Guide Dogs of America

Guide Dogs of America provides guide dogs and instruction in their use, free of charge, to blind and visually impaired

Leader Dogs for the Blind

Leader Dogs for the Blind provides guide dogs to people who are blind and visually impaired to enhance their mobility,  independence and quality of life.

National Federation of the Blind

National Federation of the Blind provides public education about blindness, information and referral services, scholarships, literature and publications about blindness, aids and appliances and other adaptive equipment for the blind, advocacy services and protection of civil rights, employment assistance and support services, development and evaluation of technology, and support for blind persons and their families.

NH Parents of Blind Children (NHPOBC)

Provides vital support, encouragement, and information to families of blind and visually impaired children. Connect with other families, and many resources and great programs. NHPOBC is part of the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children & National Federation of the Blind.