NHDHHS – Family Centered Early Supports and Services

In NH Family Centered Early Supports and Services (FCESS) are delivered by contractual agreements between Bureau of Developmental Services and designated non-profit and specialized service agencies (Area Agencies)  located throughout the state. Anyone who is concerned about an infant or toddler’s development, including a parent, may make a referral to FCESS. The program is designed for children birth through age two who have a diagnosed, established condition that has a high probability of resulting in delay, are experiencing developmental delays, or are at risk for substantial developmental delays if supports and services are not provided.


NH Family Centered Early Supports and Services Program Directory 2020

NH Governor’s Commission on Disability

The Governor’s Commission on Disability (GCD) is created pursuant to RSA 275-C and is a State of New Hampshire agency that serves people with cross-disabilities, advises the Governor, Legislature, and other state agencies regarding disability-related compliance, and provides assistance with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and other disability law compliance. The GCD is organizationally structured directly within the Office of the Governor, and its Chair and Commission Members are appointed by the Governor. The Commission Members afford all of us a breadth of institutional knowledge and real life experiences applicable to those with a disability in a host of venues.

The work of the GCD is multidimensional and requires many individuals supporting the cause to remove barriers to equality. As you navigate the GCD’s website, you will gain insight as to the efforts of the agency staff, the workings of the GCD’s statutory committee known as the Committee on Architectural Barrier Free Design, as well as the internal committees which the GCD has established. You will also see how the GCD collaborates with other entities and agencies.

The GCD is the designated agency for the federally funded Client Assistance Program and is the housing agency for the federally mandated Statewide Independent Living Council. Further, the GCD administers the Telecommunications Equipment Assistance Program which provides for access to telephone service for qualified individuals with a disability and is the recipient for an annual appropriation which funds Newsline for the Blind, which guarantees access to newsprint for those who are blind or have low vison.

Vocational Rehabilitation

New Hampshire Vocational Rehabilitation (NHVR) is an agency within the Department of Education that helps persons with disabilities help themselves to get a job, keep the job, and develop a lifetime career. NHVR has seven regional offices throughout the state designed to assist persons who have physical, mental, emotional and learning disabilities.

A person is eligible if: They have a disability, and their disability creates substantial problems in preparing for a job, getting a job, or keeping a job, and they require VR services to become employed or to stay employed.

Applying for VR services, is done through the local VR office. Tell them you have a disability and need help getting a job. You will get some initial information about VR and an appointment date. At this first appointment you will learn more about VR and will start the process for determining eligibility.

With current medical information documenting your disability, a determination of eligibility for VR services may be made. For this reason, it would be helpful if any medical records that would assist in this process be brought to the first meeting. Also include any of the following: Transcript of Grades, Current IEP, Current Class Schedule, Vocational Evaluation, OT/PT/Speech Reports, Psychological/Psychiatric Evaluations, WISC/WAIS, Reading Evaluation, and any other disability related records you have on file.

Services Available

You will meet with a counselor to develop an employment plan designed to meet your specific needs. Each one of the services in the employment plan should move you one step closer to a chosen job. Not everyone will need every service. Some of the services provided are:

Diagnostic Testing: This involves, if necessary, medical or psychological exams. These exams may be used to determine your eligibility for VR services and your needs for specific types of     services.

Vocational Evaluation: This involves aptitude, interest and other specific tests to assist in planning for the right job.

Vocational Counseling: Your counselor will help you decide which work opportunities are best for you. This may lead to training, including On-the-Job Training, Technical Training, and Academic Training.

Job Placement: These services help you learn the skills to find and keep the right job, and may include training in writing a resume, practicing in doing interviews, and following job leads.
Independent Living Services: Information and Referral, Advocacy, Peer Counseling, Personal Care Attendant Coordination, and Assistive Technology may be available for individuals with severe disabilities.

Special Services: Physical and Mental Restoration: If you need medical treatment to correct, improve or prevent deterioration of your disability, this service may be provided so you can work.

Transition From School to Work: Transition services refer to the services for children with disabilities they require in order to make a successful adjustment to work and community living.

Assistive Technology: VR will supply appropriate application of technological devices to support you in performing in a job situation.

Supported Employment: These programs are designed for persons who need long-term support to hold a job in the community. Persons in supported employment are placed in competitive jobs with workers without disabilities and receive ongoing support services.

Support Services
♦ Interpreter Services – may include foreign language, sign language or oral interpreters.
♦ Transportation – as needed during the VR program for completion of the employment plan.

There is no charge for VR Services, however, customers may be required to financially participate in certain services in their Rehabilitation Program. Customers are also required to take advantage of any insurance or other programs for which they may be eligible.

Vocational Rehabilitation Regional Offices

Berlin Regional Office: (603) 712-2271 (V/TTY)
Concord Regional Office: (603) 271-2327
Keene Regional Office: (603) 357-0266
Manchester Regional Office: (603) 669-9733 (V/TTY)
Nashua Regional Office: (603) 889-6844 (V/TTY)
Portsmouth Regional Office: (603) 436-8884 (V/TTY)

Services for Blind and Visually Impaired: (603) 271-3471 (V/TTY)

Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing: (603) 463-0728 (VP)

Women, Infants & Children Nutrition Program (WIC)

The New Hampshire Women, Infants and Children Nutrition Program (WIC) provides nutrition   education and nutritious foods to help keep pregnant women, new mothers, infants and preschool children. WIC Nutrition Services also administers other health and nutrition programs. call the State WIC Agency OR You can now use an online WIC Pre-screening Tool to see if you are eligible for WIC services.  The Tool asks several questions about residential and income eligibility for WIC services.  Visit the USDA’s WIC Program at http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic and click on the “Am I Eligible?” banner on the page. As you proceed through the tool, you will also be able to see which WIC agency in NH to call for an appointment.

WIC Brochure

NHDHHS/Bureau of Elderly and Adult Services

The Bureau of Elderly and Adult Services (BEAS) provides a wide range of support and services in partnership with community systems for individuals with developmental disabilities and acquired brain disorders, individuals with serious mental illness or emotional disturbance, adults aged 18-60 who have a chronic illness or disability, and individuals age 60 or older.

NHDHHS Child Care Licensing Unit

The  Child Care Licensing Unit (CCLU) – Information about types of child care that are licensed in NH, forms for child care licensure, rules and complaint procedures.

NHDHHS, Division of Children, Youth and Families

Foster parents are asked to provide a safe, stable, temporary, and caring atmosphere for a child placed in their home. Foster parents become part of a team effort to support the child and implement the plans made for the child. This will involve working with biological parents, courts, DCYF, and other involved agencies. Any New Hampshire resident, aged 21 or older can apply to be a licensed foster parent. Singles and/or couples must have the time and energy to give to a child, complete the application and approval process, meet the rules for foster care and attend an orientation and mandatory training.

NH Department of Education – Home Schooling

Home Education is an alternative to attendance at a public or private school and is an individualized form of instruction in accordance with Chapter 279:2, laws of 1990. A parent is eligible under the Administrative Rules, Ed 315 to establish a home education program for a child between 6 and 18 years of age including an “educationally disabled child” as defined under RSA 186-C:2, I, provided that the definition of “educationally disabled child” as defined under RSA 186-C:2, I, for the purposes of Ed 315, shall be applicable only to children between 6 and 18 years of age. More information on their website.

NH Department of Health and Human Services – Emergency Services Unit

The Emergency Services Unit (ESU), which operates under the direction of theCommissioner’s Office, coordinates the NH Department of Health and Human Services’ (DHHS) emergency response efforts under the direction of the Commissioner or designee.  ESU is responsible for managing the Department’s emergency supplies, supporting technologies used during disasters, and fulfilling the Health & Medical Services and Mass Care & Sheltering needs of the citizens of NH during a disaster. The Emergency Services Unit coordinates these efforts with: Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEM)  and Department of Safety.