Vocational Rehabilitation

New Hampshire Vocational Rehabilitation (NHVR) is a division of the Department of Education that helps persons with disabilities help themselves to get a job, keep the job, and develop a life time career. NHVR has seven regional offices throughout the state designed to assist persons who have physical, mental, emotional and learning disabilities. A person is eligible if: They have a disability, and their disability creates substantial problems in preparing for a job, getting a job, or keeping a job, and they require VR services to become employed or to stay employed.

Applying for VR services, is done through the local VR office (see below). Tell them you have a disability and need help getting a job. You will get some initial information about VR and an appointment date. At this first appointment you will learn more about VR and will start the process for determining eligibility.

With current medical information documenting your disability, a determination of eligibility for VR services may be made. For this reason, it would be helpful if any medical records that would assist in this process be brought to the first meeting. Also include any of the following: Transcript of Grades, Current IEP, Current Class Schedule, Vocational Evaluation, OT/PT/Speech Reports, Psychological/Psychiatric Evaluations, WISC/WAIS, Reading Evaluation, and any other disability related records you have on file.

You will meet with a counselor to develop an employment plan designed to meet your specific needs. Each one of the services in the employment plan should move you one step closer to a chosen job. Not everyone will need every service. Some of the services provided are:

Diagnostic Testing: This involves, if necessary, medical or psychological exams. These exams may be used to determine your eligibility for VR services and your needs for specific types of services.
Vocational Evaluation: This involves aptitude, interest and other specific tests to assist in planning for the right job.

Vocational Counseling: Your counselor will help you decide which work opportunities are best for you. This may lead to training, including On-the-Job Training, Technical Training, and Academic Training.

Job Placement: These services help you learn the skills to find and keep the right job, and may include training in writing a resume, practicing in doing interview, and following job leads.

Independent Living Services: Information and Referral, Advocacy, Peer Counseling, Personal Care Attendant Coordination, and Assistive Technology may be available for individuals with severe disabilities.

Special Services

Physical and Mental Restoration: If you need medical treatment to correct, improve or prevent deterioration of your disability, this service may be provided so you can work.
Transition From School to Work: Transition services refer to the services disabled children require in order to make a successful adjustment to work and community living.
Assistive Technology: VR will supply appropriate application of technological devices to support you in performing in a job situation.

Supported Employment – These programs are designed for persons who need long-term support to hold a job in the community. Persons in supported employment are placed in competitive jobs with workers without disabilities and receive ongoing support services.

Support Services

Interpreter Services – may include foreign language, sign language or oral interpreters.

Transportation – as needed during the VR program for completion of the employment plan.

There is no charge for VR Services, however, customers may be required to financially participate in certain services in their Rehabilitation Program. Customers are also required to take advantage of any insurance or other programs for which they may be eligible.

Vocational Rehabilitation Regional Offices

Berlin Regional Office: (603) 712-2271 (V/TTY)
Concord Regional Office: (603) 271-2327
Keene Regional Office: (603) 357-0266
Manchester/Nashua Regional Office: (603) 669-9733 (V/TTY)
Portsmouth Regional Office: (603) 436-8884 (V/TTY)

Services for Blind and Visually Impaired: (603) 271-3537 (V/TTY)

Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing: (603) 463-0728 (VP)

Web: Web site
Phone: (603) 271-3471