One of the primary goals of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act”, otherwise known as the ACA, is to help those who are uninsured or underinsured obtain coverage. The key provisions of the law establish a Marketplace (also known as an exchange) in each state and
- Gives the option to states to expand Medicaid to adults from ages 19-65 who have household incomes below 138% of the Federal Poverty Level (Granite Advantage Health Care Program)
- It requires all citizens to obtain basic health coverage starting in 2014 (exemptions are available), and
- It requires employers with 50 full time employees (or equivalent) to offer affordable health coverage to their full time employees.
If you need health insurance for yourself or your adult child, one option is to purchase individual plans from the NH Marketplace. You must do so during ‘Open Enrollment’ which runs every year, starts November 1st to January 15th, of the next year. There are exceptions to this if something has happened which resulted in a loss of coverage such as a loss of a job, the need of a COBRA plan or a child aging out of Medicaid.These special circumstances allow you to buy a plan from the marketplace at other times of the year. This is called ‘Special Enrollment‘. You might also consider purchasing an individual plan outside of the NH Marketplace- which would also need to be done during open enrollment. Please see our individual health insurance page for more information and considerations. You can view the plans on Healthcare.gov or by going to the NH Insurance Department’s webpage.
New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services – NH Medicaid and Federal Health Care Reform
New Hampshire Health Access Network – The New Hampshire Health Access Network is a voluntary effort by health care providers to improve access to health care for low-income children and adults statewide. NHHAN is not an insurance program. It is a discount program based on the applicant household’s income and assets.
♥ NH Family Voices is available to answer questions and help families understand aspects of the Health Insurance Marketplace as it relates to having a child with special healthcare needs. Call us at (603) 271-4525 and we would be happy to help.
The Covering New Hampshire is a statewide effort by the New Hampshire Health Plan, Covering New Hampshire is the official, free resource for Granite Staters to learn about the Health Insurance Marketplace, the New Hampshire Health Protection Program and the new, affordable health insurance plans that are now available to you.
Will help you get covered by:
- Helping you understand the new health care law and how it affects you.
- Serving as a resource to help you learn about the New Hampshire Health Protection Program and the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Providing you details about the new health insurance plans that are available to Granite Staters through the Marketplace.
- Informing you about the financial assistance that is available to make health insurance affordable.
- Connecting you with the Health Insurance Marketplace and the New Hampshire Health Protection Program online or by phone.
- Connecting you with in-person assisters around New Hampshire who will help you through the enrollment process step-by-step.
- Connecting you with other New Hampshire organizations that are here to help you get covered.