What is the Granite Advantage?
This is Medicaid Expansion in NH. The program is for adults ages 19-65 that fall under certain income limits. On January 1, 2019, per state law, the Granite Advantage Health Care Program replaces NH Health Protection Program (NHHPP). This Medical coverage will continue through one of the state’s Medicaid Care Management plans, NH Healthy Families and Well Sense Health Plan. NHHPP / Premium Assistance Program (PAP) becomes the Granite Advantage Program.
This transition to Granite Advantage brings other change to the program as well. Financial eligibility can be found below. A new requirement is that members must work or engage in significant activities including vocational education, job training, job search activities or participate in community engagement and will need to complete a total of 100 hours each month of the calendar year that they are mandatory. There are many activities that count towards the requirement, and a member can use a combination of hours to fulfill their requirement. The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) understands that some Granite Advantage members may not be able to participate in community engagement. These individuals may be exempt and will not have to complete community engagement activities.
While coverage will vary depending which option you’re eligible for, all of the coverage options available through Granite Advantage are required to cover services like regular check-ups with your doctor, emergency room visits, prescription drugs, visits to specialists, and more.
- Are 19-64 years old
- Are not eligible for or enrolled in Medicare
- Are not in any traditional Medicaid mandatory eligibility group
- Are not pregnant at the time of application
- Have monthly household incomes that are at or below 133% of the Federal Poverty Level*
For more information about this transition check the DHHS/Granite Advantage web pages.
How to apply for coverage through the Granite State Advantage:
- Online: Fill out an application at nheasy.nh.gov or healthcare.gov
- Phone: Call (888) 901-4999 for personalized assistance (Monday – Friday, 8am – 4pm)
- Paper Application: Download a paper application at dhhs.nh.gov
- In-Person: Find the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services district office closest to you. (See sidebar)